Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Season 5 Episode 4: The Bulldog Breed


Howdy Cromrades and welcome to our latest stop along the road of champions! This week we join our protagonist Sailor Steve in the far away port of Hong Kong and go on a rollicking adventure. Giggle with delight as we meet Mike the Bulldog, Steve's stalwart canine companion. Gasp with shock as Mike is assaulted by the brutish Francois. Cheer with joy as Steve avenges his bulldog buddy's honor and accidentally his captain's as well!


Read up on why human's and dogs are so close:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-human-beast/200904/why-are-humans-and-dogs-so-good-living-together

Take a gander at the Wikipedia entry on Jack Dempsey:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Dempsey

One Things
Jon: Silver Screen Fiend by Patton Oswalt
Luke: Arrival (2016), directed by Denis Villeneuve. Pre-order it from Amazon! (It's a beautiful film! So nice he loved it twice)
Josh: Skyrim! Specifically, being a magic person in said game


Questions? Comments? Curses?
Email us! (thecromcast at gmail dot com), You know you want to follow us on Twitter! Subscribe to our feed on FeedBurner! Or, check us out on iTunes! We're also on Stitcher Radio and Google Play! Finally.... Call us! (859)429-CROM!


Legal Mumbo-Jumbo
Our episode is freely available on archive.org and is licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/
Beginning theme: Sudden Defeat by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com) Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0.

Closing theme: Bluesman Tom Larsen's "Bulldog"  All music was obtained legally; we hope our discussion of this content makes you want to go out and purchase the work!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, folks!

    Just finished listening and I really dug that final song by Bluesman Tom Larsen! Is he new? I can't find a Wikipedia entry for him, so that's what I usually assume.

    Oh, I didn't import the bourbon myself, there's a few online retailers in the UK that sell stuff they've already had brought over, so as well as the cover price I think the P&P is only £5 or so, which is pretty modest.

    Funnily enough, I bought a bottle of Bushmills this week too as it was on special offer at the place I do my grocery shopping at. Very hot and very dry, I say! In fact I've resorted to a ginger beer mixer for this one. The hangovers it gives me are right stinkers too [I'm suffering still as I type], possibly as bad as red wine hangovers, for sure. Tasty though!

    Like Josh, I have also restarted Skyrim recently as a mage and am finding it an interesting challenge having to sell weapons instead of stockpiling them, although the added magical ability is very noticeable. I'm hooking a little backstory on this time as I didn't on my initial play-through as a Breton. I guess I assumed the game would reveal a backstory to me at some point, but that was me as an RPG noob. Michael over at A Skyrim Addict has shown me the way!

    On the subject of dog ownership (unrelated to this episode's story and certainly not aimed at any of the Cromcasters), I sometimes view the relationship between male dog owners and their canine companions as the playing out of a subconscious (and conscious) masculine desire in an age of feminism to dominate something. This doesn't go for all men, of course, so I don't want that to be a sweeping generalisation. I just get the feeling when I see some poor animal being dragged about the place by its sometimes less-evolved owner that the taller of the two spends their days lamenting women's liberation. Just a feeling.

    Hope that wasn't too controversial, lol. I guess where I live is pretty rough and you see/hear some grim stuff.

    Toodles! x

    P.S. Don't make me pull my "bulldog" out now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good episode as usual, guys. I never was a dog person until we got our Black Lab, Bear. Labrador Retrievers are one of the smarter dog breeds, and are very social and emotive. They've no doubt evolved over the years to emote to their advantage. Bear, for example, always looks sad when she wants food, a hug, or to go out and play, although her wagging tail tends to give away her true feelings.

    Anyway, on to whisky! Although you're tending to stay away from the more expensive Scotches, I'll mention that the most expensive I've purchased was Lagavulin 16, but liquor prices in Canada are insane anyway. But that's a much more refined way to go for that peat smoke side of things if you enjoy Laphroaig, which tends to be a punchier peat monster, especially if you pick up Laphroaig Quarter Cask (my all-time favourite - and decently priced). If you want to try another good peat monster, but with some more complex flavours, go for Ardbeg 10. Talisker is also damn good stuff.

    ReplyDelete